Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Tuckered Out Over This...

I didn't see the football game between Shawnee and Tulsa Washington. I didn't see the Shawnee QB, Tucker Brown, deliver the kick to the head of the opposing Tulsa Washington player. But I have read reams pros and cons regarding the decision not to allow Tucker to participate in the next playoff game. And I have a personal opinion about the controversy.

It is my opinion that Danny Rennels, executive director of the Oklahoma Secondary School Activities Association, made the correct decision to not allow Tucker Brown to participate in the next playoff game. I offer two reasons to support my opinion.

First, Tucker Brown kicked an opposing player in the head, which is a clear violation of of the rules of football. In accordance with the OSSAA rules, he should not be allowed to play in the next two games. It doesn't matter what anyone else did in the game, the yellow flag was thrown on Tucker. He should take responsibility for his own actions. He had no control over what the opposing player did to him. He did have control over his own actions He had the game won. He should have sucked it up forgot about what the other player did to him.

Secondly, I am convinced that Danny Rennels was correct to support the decision of the officials. I know Danny to be a man of impeccable integrity. I have known him almost forever. He knows right from wrong. He graduated from Hammon High School, the same school from which I graduated. My trust in Danny Rennels isn't based on the fact that we graduated from the same school. Rather, it's based on the fact that he is willing stand for what is right. He said, "...The rule is indisputable. If you kick someone ... you sit out. It's just that simple."

That Danny's stand isn't pleasing to Governor Brad Heney or some people in Shawnee is beside the point. Right is right. And wrong is wrong. Danny knows what is right.

I hope the high court stands with Danny Rennels and the OSSAA. I hope Tucker Brown and his coach/father learn a lesson from this event...

No comments: